Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What a Weekend!

Have you met my mom?  She's pretty cool.  This weekend she turned 50 (well, on her it looks more like 25).  And not only was her birthday this weekend, but it was on Friday the 13th.  How lucky is that?  So to celebrate, my family threw an awesome surprise party, that you should totally read about on her blog.  (I also just learned that my Mom has a blog.  That she rarely updates, but it exists!)

Anyways, to celebrate just a little bit more, let me tell you a couple of things about my mom:


  • Her favorite color is red, as evidenced by half of her wardrobe, and a good portion of the house she lives in
  • She loooooves chocolate milk.  For most of my childhood, I remember all of us kids around the table at breakfast eating cereal, while my mom sat and drank chocolate milk with some vitamins
  • She likes listening to rock versions of the song Milkshake.  Like this, for example.  Does it get cooler than that?
  • My mom can do a backflip.  Just kidding.  But she does have that magical mom ability where she knows where 85% of items  in the house are at any moment.  "Mom have you seen my flip flops?"  "Yes, they're under the kitchen table."  How did she even see that?
  • She has run two half-marathons.  That's a total of one marathon!  But, she did them year apart, and I think she's planning on doing a third this June.  Girl can run!
That's all I'll divulge.  Happy 50th Mom!

The way this relates to my weekend is that I drove home on Friday in order to be there to see her as she walked through the door into a room full of people that she was not expecting to see.  Which turned into a lovely four-day weekend for me (well, I guess Dr. King also had a thing or two to do with it).  

SO what else did I do this weekend?  Well, Saturday I did largely nothing.  I'm actually trying to remember if I even left the house.  I did.  My mom took me to Hobby Lobby (which is probably her favorite store).  And I watched Laker game after Patriots/Broncos game after 49ers/Saints game (my man Harbaugh pulled out the W!).  
And Sunday, I went to church and probably watched more sports. 
And on MONDAY, I had a party.  Literally a party.  My familia got box seats to a Clipper game.  I have never been to an NBA game before, and my dad felt a little bad about that, so it was really cool that I got to go.  
But oh my gosh the Clippers!  Obviously I'm still a Laker girl (always will be), so I was still a little sad that on Saturday the Lakers lost to the Clippers, but the Clippers are suuper fun to watch.  You've got Blake, who's always dunking and being cute in those commercials, and Chris Paul who I have a major crush on.  Because, I mean, look at this:

I can't get over how cute he is in this picture.  Sure he's married and has a kid, but chances of me actually ever meeting CP3 are preeeeeeeetty small.  So there you have it. 

Oh and afterwards!  We went to this great little restaurant in East LA called El Tepeyac which has giant portions of deliciousness.  It was weird eating the leftovers yesterday for lunch knowing they had been made in LA by real Mexicans (and probabl using real animal fat).  But it was delicious all the same.  

And then I drove home.  Which was actually not that bad.  When there's not traffic, and I am not throwing up, I don't even end up crying.  

Also, another Clipper photo:


Oh, and apparently my Mom took a video of me dancing (I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaally wanted to get on the jumbo-tron but no one around me was excited), which you can see here if we are fb friends.  I just learned that I'm that girl who always dances, although I guess I should have known.  

5 comments:

  1. Aren't box seats fun? A few years ago we went to a Clippers/Spurs game with some friends who had gotten hooked up with a box. That was about 5 years ago, though, so I didn't appreciate it. I'm glad you did yours!

    Also, your mom is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may or may not have just visited your page several times to get you to 7,000...so I want a new hint! LoL I am so glad I was able to see you and your family last weekend! Your mom is awesome and totally deserved a birthday like she had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You like THAT better than this?? http://www.menhealthwizard.com/blake-griffin-shirtless-ripped-for-mens-health-photos/ (just ignore the fact that his eyes are way too close together).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why haven't I seen this post before?
    a) It's about me!
    b) The second half of it is about watching football and basketball, which I LOOOVE to do.
    c) Camille's comment linked a pic of shirtless Blake!
    All very good.
    Thank you for the kind words and for the super amazing birthday party and for driving all the way home just to be there. I was so glad you were there! I love you, Gigi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you heard this version? They sell it on itunes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKfMNZ84qs

    ReplyDelete