Monday, February 7, 2011

Remember Free Time?

Yeah those were the days.

The days before I went to bed at 1 am and woke up at 7:30 to finish homework.  The days before I spent about an hour and a half just walking around campus to all the places I went.  The days before I had three midterms within a week and a half of each other and I skipped meals just to study or finish homework.  The days before I gained stress-weight all the time.

I spent a lot of time today remembering those days.  They were good to me.  I can almost remember the way it felt to sit in one spot for so long that my butt actually hurt.  The way it felt to spend more than 15 minutes a day with any of my friends.

And then, of course, I felt the drop in mood that happens when you ponder how easy life used to be.  Because no matter how well things are going now, it always seems that things were easier to handle if they happened a long time ago.  And now always seems to suck.

And then I saw my first-ever pregnant student at Stanford.  Well at least she looked pregnant, and she looked like a student.  (I know, all you BYU students are wondering how it took me soooo long to see a pregnant student.  It like never happens here.)  At first I was jealous of her.  Because she probably has a nice husband named James or something.  And probably when she gets home (at like 5, not 9)  she and James eat together and ask each other about their days and tell stories about the funny things they saw walking around campus.  And maybe she mostly just has reading and she gets to relax when she gets home and put her feet on a table and drink a glass of orange juice and read something for her sociology class.

But then I thought wait a minute, it would suck if I were pregnant.  Like going to school where random almost-20-year-old-girls stare at me like I'm some freak and I have to walk everywhere with swollen ankles and an extra 40 pounds on my body, and it is frickin hot for February and I'm sweating everywhere and none of my clothes fit me right and I have no money, but in two months James and I have to figure out a way to pay for the two of us in school and baby.

So even though I'm busy and I'm a little bit tired of school right now, at least I'm not pregnant.  

Which is why they call me an optimist.


Oh, and bear with me through these formatting experiments.

6 comments:

  1. oh im thankful daily for not being pregnant. yes, u see it all the time at byu, and i have no idea how they do it. school is hard enough without it. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you found a month's worth of birth control in your desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one interesting silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was seriously about to punch you in the face for envying a pregnant chick. Glad you changed your mind.

    And FYI, James probably stays at school and studies until 11PM just to avoid hearing her worry about how they will afford the baby, and she is probably overwhelmed with everything going on in her life, because LIFE DOESN'T SLOW DOWN JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PREGNANT. :( But you're probably right about the orange juice, OJ is WIC approved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really glad you're not pregnant, too.

    ReplyDelete