Monday, January 30, 2012

Le Fashions

Ok, so you, by this point, are like, "Wow, stop talking about your photography class because no one cares."  But this is me ignoring you because I care and this is my blog and don't read it if you don't want to.  (I don't cater to my audience very well, in case you couldn't tell.)

So here's the dealio, I am not a hipster.  And this is not one of those things where someone who is a hipster pretends to not be a hipster.  I am actually not a hipster.  I enjoy listening to top 40.  I read stupid celebrity gossip magazines when I'm in the grocery store because I think they're interesting and mind-numbing.  Although I sometimes shop at thrift stores, for the most part it's Forever 21 and Target for me.  And I own two scarves which I never wear.  Therefore I could never be a hipster.

Now that we've cleared that out, I think photography is super rad.  And so do a lot of hipsters.  In fact, my class, which is made of only probably 13 people, has about 9 hipsters in it (including the professor, who is actually only a grad student).  So every day when I go to the class I feel this tremendous pressure to wear cute clothes, because everyone else is wearing cute clothes that are like artistic and cool and edgy and not at all like the usual jeans + t-shirt from the company you interned at over the summer + Stanford hoodie which = the average Stanford student's wardrobe.

But not only do my clothes have to be cute, they have to send a message.  And the message that I usually try to convey through my clothes when dressing for this photo class is "the reason you don't see value in my photos is because my aesthetic is oh-so-clearly over your head as evidenced by my edgy and different taste in clothes that you think are cool but a little but ugly."  I mean, if a  pictures worth a thousand words, can an outfit be worth (...I'm counting...) 38?  I'm hoping yes.

So yes, I am posting pictures of  my outfits for the last few classes.  Which you will probably (hopefully) think are a little but ugly.  But also cool.  and edgy.  and over-your-head.  Did I really say that?  How pretentious is that?

In any case:



Bright blue pants, turquoise top, fat belly.  I was in a rush that morning.  



Oh and btw's, I made my first print, which you are welcome to think of as complete crap.  While the subject of the photo may suck, I am fairly proud of the printing.  Here is a picture of that picture:


Pictures of pictures look dumb.

1 comment:

  1. That's how I feel in MY photography classes! I always dress a little nicer on those days. You'd be surprised how many hipsters there are in Rexburg. But I like your outfits and that is a good print! (The subject isn't my favorite, either, but it's the printing that counts, right?)

    ReplyDelete