Thursday, January 26, 2012

Naked Gymnasts (of the male variety)

I can tell I already have your attention.  Admit it, I'm right.

So here's the thing.  Nakedness makes me pretty uncomfortable.  Not my own body.  I'm fine with that.  I know what it looks like and I'm not particularly embarrassed by it.  It is what it is.  But I do noooot particularly feel comfortable looking at other peoples bodies. That's their business, and when someone is a complete stranger, I would rather not see that much of them.  

But I rented this locker, right?  So that I wold better be able to keep my resolution that was about moving.  So that I could have a place to put gym clothes and to shower so that I could go throughout the rest of my day without either smelling bad or going all the way home just to come back.  

Except that the building that my locker is in is called the Ford Center.  Which is used by exactly three sports groups.  1.  the crew teams - both male and female.  2. the volleyball players (I haven't seen any of the volleyball boys there) and 3.  the gymnasts.  

And all of these groups wear not very many clothes.  The volleyball players are actually the most dressed.  They wear those little spandex shorts, but they wear full on shirts!  The crew teams (who if you are not an east coaster, are the groups of people who row boats together in races) wear those little spandex shorts and either nothing or sports bras, depending on gender.  

And the male gymnasts!  They are the worst!  They wear those leotards kinda like wrestlers do - and they are suuuuuuper tight.  Except it doesn't stop there.  They roll them down to below their hip bones so that they aren't wearing shirts.  And then, they stand in groups all along my walk through the center and into the girls' locker room.  

But here's the thing, what are you supposed to do in this situation?  Obviously, you can't just stare at the practically naked bodies (really - they are leaving about half a square foot of their bodies to the imagination).  But also I feel like it is equally rude and weird to be blatantly looking away - like I'm saying I DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT THAT (even though I don't want to look at that).  So everyday as I walk into the building, I pick a spot on the back wall  in the direction of the lockers and I only stare at that spot.  

It's probably just as awkward as staring at their bodies, or at my feet, but this way, I don't run into any of the machines or anyone.


Anyhooozzle:

A photo of yours truly, because I used to do that more often and people are saying that I'm starting to get soft.  Ok, no one said it, but I like this picture of me and my super messy place.  Such is college, right?


2 comments:

  1. You are a trooper and a saint for being able to handle a co-ed locker room. Kudos! PS I love that picture. You're so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They probably dress that way because they want you to look ;) So I say it's up to you whether you want to or not, no need to be ashamed!

    ReplyDelete