Thursday, February 10, 2011

What's in a Name?

Remember how I told you that Gigi isn't my real name.  Well, I've been thinking a lot about that.  Almost every time I tell people that my real name is actually Genevieve, they say something about what a pretty name that is.

And I've always agreed.  I didn't really pick the nickname Gigi.  People have been calling my Gigi since before I can remember.  Which is not to say that Gigi is not a great name.  It's French, and cutesy, and even a little flirty.  And it's done me well in my life.  I got into Stanford with the name Gigi.

But I always pictured myself growing up to be Genevieve.  Which is why I'm going to start introducing myself as Genevieve. Which is not to say that I am going to force you all to call me Genevieve and never say Gigi again.  I'm even going to keep this blog titled the way it is.

So even though it caused controversy, I want to change my name.  I don't dislike Gigi, I just kind of want to be Genevieve now.



I'm still the same girl, after all.

1 comment: