Monday, February 28, 2011

The Mature and Responsible Thing to Do

I've been thinking a lot about how my life is different now that I'm twenty (because it so totally is, and I'm not being sarcastic).  No, but f'reals, I feel a lot lately like I'm supposed to make real people decisions and be in charge of all my schtuffs.  What ever happened to safety nets?

But also I'm twenty.  Isn't that when people go out and do crazy things and learn about random new skills and meet people who change their lives and are just a tad irresponsible?
Apparently not at Stanford.  Everyone here is too busy changing the world and securing their summer internships with the Dalai Lama or McKinsey Consulting.  But I don't really like that.  It drives me a little bit crazy.  I've always been a bit of an over-planner, but I feel myself pulling back from planning every facet of my life and more and more just going with the flow.

And so Wednesday I was feeling blue.

Call it post-birthday slump, call it being hormonal, call it whatever, I was just a little down.

So being the twenty-year-old that I am, I took the high road on this one.  Meaning I bought a bunch of orange juice, skipped work for the day, and laid in bed and watched The Incredibles. Yes, I am quite the responsible adult.

Stupid life responsibilities and the way they make it impossible for me to travel my way into a bajillion debt without worrying about how I would sustain myself.  Maybe realizing I have to be responsible is enough for this year round, right?

Hold that thought. I'm off to send a billion emails to professors and write a couple cover letters and then practice climbing up the walls in my hallway.  Oh and I had cereal for dinner today.

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing about growing up is that being older isn't always as big a deal as we think. At (almost) 20, I find that it's not as "grown-up" as I thought it would be, and that's totally okay.

    ReplyDelete