Friday, August 12, 2011

Just an Everyday Occurence

As I laid in bed flossing the other night around one in the morning, I started to try and imagine what the everyday will be like for me once I settle into my own life.
This guy!

And then I thought that that is a very odd way to be thinking about my life. Once I settle into it?  What does that make me now?  Unsettled? That's a little bit disgusting.  What is wrong with my life now?  Why settle into a routine ever?  Why have just one career, one mate, one day over and over?

I've come up with a couple of explanations for this line of thinking.
First, I'm not big on uncertainty. For me, unless there are some other circumstances, I wouldn't like to take a job that would be only for a few months even if it paid quite well, if I knew I could have another job for a lot longer.  I just like to have a plan, a direction, a goal to aspire to.
Second, growing up as a Mormon girl (if you haven't had this experience, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt) you're sort of, how do I say, brainwashed into thinking that the most important thing you can do in your twenties is get married.  I'm kidding, but Mormons do take family very, very seriously.  And starting your own is definitely part of that.  So for me a secure future always includes having a trusty husband at my side.  Thus, yeah, I'm not settled down in that sense.
And third, I keep thinking about this idea of all of life as an adventure.  Now before you're all, "Wow, way to get all inspirational cheese on me," let me persuade (or have some oogly attempt at persuading) you to my inspirational cheesey line of thinking.

I've spent a lot of time this summer being bored.  Sitting on my fat behind, watching the television and the likes.  I don't really have a car, I kind of have two jobs, but both of them only kind of.  Anyways, I keep thinking over and over about that thing your mom told you when you were little and you couldn't think of anything to do and kept bugging her: "Only boring people get bored."

What an insult!  I am not boring. How dare you, me. So I've really been thinking about how I can add adventure to my life.  Like my boring, car-less, job-less life right now.  And for me I guess that just means deciding that the things that are around me to do are terribly fun.  All of them except putting the silverware away.  That could never be fun.  But taking a nap?  Sure, I'll have crazy dreams.  Cleaning my house?  Just an opportunity for a one girl dance/cleaning party.  Ordering 200 cookies from a nice bakery?  Just an opportunity to talk to someone I have never met and try and picture what they look like.  (About 5'4", blonde, very smiley, always wears her hair in a pony tail - and you thought I was kidding).

So I hereby declare everything ever is not boring.  Never again will I be boring.

......And back from the cheesiness and back to the picturing of my everyday life as an older version of me.  I like to think that I will figure out a way to keep myself entertained for the rest of my life.  That I will teach my children that they don't need television or video games or the coolest toys to find a way to have a good time.  And that I will keep my husband on his toes.

And I don't see any reason why I shouldn't look forward to settling in for a good time.

1 comment:

  1. i once had a professor that said "there are no boring subjects, just uninterested people". and thats stuck with me for a long time. (well the past few years long time) i love it. and it helps me with those "boring classes". i should probably start applying it to the rest of my life, or whatever...

    ReplyDelete