Tuesday, August 23, 2011

You know what's the worst?

When people who I know and whose opinion matters to me tell me that they read my blog.  Or really just anyone reads it.  Except anyone in a country I will probably never visit.  Armenia?  But maybe I'm not really proud of the image of myself that I put out in blog-form, but then, why do I keep putting it out there?

I've seriously been thinking about the answer to this question for days, if not maybe a week here, and I still don't have an answer that I like.

So maybe let's look at the way I sound via blog:
I am obsessed with my hair.
I like to take pictures of myself.
I'm obsessed with the idea of family and/or babies.
I loooove puns, cheese (like the food and the bad sort of jokes), and Disney.
I sound like a scatter-brain.

Guys, I promise I am less of all of these things in real life.  Except [insert any of the items from the list, because really?].

I am maybe more exciting in my blog form.  Not afraid to look stupid or conceited or whatever.  Because I picture you (and I mean you as in the audience here) to be one faceless internet mass who will not judge me or if they will judge me they will be like you're too adjective to take seriously, so I will just enjoy you instead.

Blogging is just a weird little thing.  It's like I share all my weird eccentricities and anecdotes and expect you to take me as normal.  Because compared to a man who gets married to a pillow in Japan (or James Franco in that one episode of 30 rock), I am sooo normal.  But then, anything on the internet can pass for normal.

The point is, what if you only read my blog and then you meet me and expect me to be like this blog-person in real life and I can't measure up because I can spend several drafts becoming worse and worse in a better and better way in blog-form, but in real life I probably only get one draft at a conversation.  But then - I've just hit it, haven't I?  Writers are sometimes very awkward in real life, even if their characters are really suave and la sexi.  I mean, could I really say the last two sentences aloud without sounding like a complete weirdo?

Somehow, hiding behind this, makes me think that the words are less real:
Or somehow like my blog-person is allowed to be a more dramatic version of me.

I guess just DISCLAIMER.  Just so you all know.  And this is before my blog becomes the most interesting thing on the internet and I gain billions of fans that follow my every word.

1 comment:

  1. I think every blogger goes through a phase like this. I always feel like no one is listening, especially the people whom I want to listen. But this is a space where you can write whatever the hell you want. I sure feel more comfortable as my "blog self" than my self around others. I think it's because I know that's the purpose of a blog-to write whatever you want!
    It's ok to be a different person on your blog than in real life :)

    There's a whole blogger community out there who think just like you. I have a bunch of blogger friends I've never met in real life, but somehow I feel so much closer to them than some of my real friends. It's a weird concept, but it's really cool too! I'm glad you blog, Gigi!

    ReplyDelete