Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Just a (not so) little post

You know what makes me feel good?  Getting things done.  Also, having posts that don't suck.  I feel like my posts suck lately.  Should I stop trying?  I keep trying to hammer it out and hope something magic happens.  Should I wait until something truly blog-worthy happens in my little life?

I like to think that my life is little.  Is that weird?  I like to think that I have my own sphere of people and places that I know.  I like to think that little things can be important things too.

I think I keep blogging even though nothing of note happens to me because I like to think that little things in a little life can be important.  I mean, lots of big things are the results of billions of little things right?  Like molecularly.  Or take voting, for example.  I think little things have to be consistent in order to make a difference.

I like to have an end goal when I blog, but I don't really have an end goal with this little post.  And it's getting less and less little by the word.

But the point of blogging is that I take a little writing and I do it consistently and I become better at sharing little things.  I develop a skill.  Which is weird because I'm not sure if that skill is writing-involved or not.  I think that skill is maybe expressing?  I think everyone needs to learn to express themselves.  But in my case, I think I learn to express the right parts of me.  Like I said about choosing the things you love and making them bigger.  Making them a larger slice of the pie.

I love the little things.  I love chocolate milk with my family.  And words like "racist" and "holla".  I love singing in the car.  I love the toes of babies.  I love the sore feeling the morning after exercising. I love crossing something on a list out.  I love utility curves.  I love planning my little life.  I love notes on a staff.  I love the scars on my fingers.  I love words on a page and on a screen.

Was that a boring list?  I hope not.  I think little things are the things that make people interesting.  I think little things make it easy to fall in love.  I think pretty highly of little things, in case you couldn't tell.  Which is probably why I keep blogging even though nothing big is happening.

One little thing I do when I have the self esteem for it is themed photo shoots.

Remember the 80s?  I don't actually.  I wasn't alive.  But I remember parts of the early 90s, which are more or less the 80s.  Hence the following picture:


There are others, but I am too embarrassed to show them.  But I also wish I had a hair scrunchie.

A hair a scrunchie is a little thing that would have made a big difference.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, please. Little things aren't just little things. They're small and simple things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely echo the comment above. I find that some of the best insights come from thinking about the minutia of everyday life and putting whatever it does (or really doesn't) mean on paper.

    ReplyDelete