Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Today, in Ramblings

Do you ever feel like time is just slipping away from you? That you are never getting to all the things on your to-do list?  That you finally get through a few things and then all the sudden an entire week has gone by?  That's how I feel right now.  But 'tis the season (for midterms, that is - don't get my hopes up).

Oh, the midterms.  I've done poorly on my fair share of college midterms - I am a firm believer that it is part of the experience (especially here at Stanford where they design the tests so that the average is about 65).  However, I am usually a pretty good judge of how good or bad I did on a test.  I can usually tell that I either bombed it or did reasonably well.
But for every rule, there's an exception, I guess.  Like last week, when I felt fairly confident about my midterm grade, thinking I probably got about an 85.  Well this week I got it back, and let's just say I did below average.  And the average for the class was a 64.  So, yeah, not my proudest moment, and not a great moment for me to get that test back.

Obladi, I guess.  Which is my way of saying life goes on.  But wait, I'm going to suck a little more pity out of you, real quick.

Have I ever told you how much I hate blood?  So much, I hate it.  I don't mind so many other gross things: needles, raw meat, insects (except when I find them in my hair), and I've even touched a human brain (through gloves).
Tonight I sliced my finger open while making a salad.  Sliced.  I could see inside for a second, and then blood filled up all that space.  I just about died, but luckily I remembered not to let blood get in my food.  One butterfly band-aid, one regular band-aid, and about a minute of thinking of my nephew's rendition of "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" while breathing slowly and deeply later, this is what I ended up with:


And as is usual for me, when I don't particularly like the way my day has gone, I decided to give myself some me time.  Which, tonight, included a tall glass of orange juice, a call home to mom, and, you guessed it, repeated viewing of The Incredibles.

But today has been great too.

I took this picture on my phone this afternoon while I was at the bus stop,

and I thought, "I love the fact that this is a sunny afternoon in California .... in November."  I mean, I love that the evenings are starting to get crisp, but I love the sun.  It does wonders for my mood.

I also love the fact that everyone posts things they are grateful for in November.  It makes me think of the things I am grateful for, which are many.

And while I am on the subject, I love that I found time today to do this.  A good blog post does wonders for my mood as well.


And on that note..... I bid you all adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment